Having trouble reading this? View it in your browser.
Contact us
Dear All,
We have chosen to clarify Change of Usage to HMO's*** this month. We have found that 23% of our Nov enquiries have been related to the creation of a HMO's, so we have chosen to focus this newsletter on HMO article 4 directions to remove the PD rights of a C3 (residential House) to C4 (HMO less than 6 people). We foresee all other London Boroughs following suit rapidly if they have not already. Do not let this great policy present pass.
There are two areas that you must not confuse when planning your HMO. 1) Planning Permission - Planning can be granted via PD if Article 4 has not been applied and the HMO is 6 people or less. Should the HMO be in an Article 4 council or exceeding 6 people you will require Full Planning Permission. 2) HMO Licensing - Licensing look at the HMO's lay out, fire and safety, provisions per room and continual monitoring. Licensing is a separate department to planning.
Councils that have NOT enforced a Article 4 Direction for C3 to C4:
Bexley Council, Brent Council, Bromley Council, Camden Council, City of London, Croydon Council, Ealing Council, Greenwich Council, Hackney Council, Hammersmith & Fulham Council, Harrow Council, Parts of Havering Council, Rest of Hillingdon Council, Hounslow Council, Islington Council, Kensington & Chelsea Council, Kingston Upon Thames Council, Lambeth Council, Lewisham Council, Merton Council, Redbridge Council, Richmond Upon Thames Council, Sutton Council, Tower Hamlets Council, Wandsworth Council and Westminster Council.
Councils that have enforced a Article 4 Direction for C3 to C4:
Barking & Dagenham Council, Barnet Council, Enfield Council, Haringey Council, Havering Council, Parts of Hillingdon Council, Newham Council, Southwark Council, Waltham Forest Council.
Our developers that have just read the list above are probably about to run to Zoopla and Rightmove to look up the area's where a HMO is still possible. If you find a good property we would be delighted to assist you in gaining all the consents required. In order to gain consent under PA you would need to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness Under PA for a C4 HMO. Our architects are used to designing HMO's and navigate the regulations to enable maximum rentability. Please also note Barnet Council has introduced an Article 4 Direction From 29 May 2016.
Some of you may have noticed we have Launched a new website at drawingandplanning.com offering an interactive enquiry system. This is the BETA version of the website and we would appreciate your feedback prior to the Big Launch next year.
*** HMO stands for House in Multiple Occupation.
P: 020 8202 3665
Mercham House
25-27 The Burroughs, Hendon,
London, NW4 4AR

25 Canada Square
Canary Wharf
London, E14 5LB
Copyright © 2016 DAP Group. All rights reserved.