Fill out a form for planning wise. Then you will be redirected to products page. Select the type of development / application, customise it and add to your basket.
Once on your basket you will be able to see all the selected products and totals, request a call back regards your basket or place order and proceed to checkout page.
Once you are happy to proceed with your order we will send you a confirmation email with your order details. You can manage your orders and personal information on "My Account" section.

If you still have problems, please let us know, by sending an email to info@drawingandplanning.com

Drawing and Planning

Explore our smart quotation system and add products that suites your proposed development/application.



Building Regulations

What Are Building Regulations? What Building Works Should Comply To Building Regulations?

What Are Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations are set standards for the design and construction of buildings, primarily to ensure the safety and health for people in or around those buildings, but also for energy conservation and access to and about buildings.

What building works should comply with Building Regulations?

  • The erection or extension of a building
  • The installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations
  • An alteration project involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings
  • The insertion of insulation into a cavity wall
  • The underpinning of the foundations of a building

If you are planning to carry out such work, then it should comply with the Building Regulations.

The works themselves should meet the relevant technical requirements in the Building Regulations and they should not make other fabric, services and fittings less compliant than they previously were / or dangerous.

The Building Regulations may also apply to certain changes of use of an existing building. This is because the change of use may result in the building as a whole no longer complying with the requirements which will apply to its new type of use, and so having to be upgraded to meet additional requirements specified in the regulations for which building work may also be required.

The requirements with which building work should comply are contained in Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations and are grouped under the fourteen 'parts':

  • Part A - Structure,
  • Part B - Fire safety,
  • Part C - Site preparation and resistance to moisture,
  • Part D - Toxic substances,
  • Part E - Resistance to the passage of sound,
  • Part F – Ventilation,
  • Part G – Hygiene,
  • Part H - Drainage and waste disposal
  • Part J - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems,
  • Part K - Protection from falling, collision and impact
  • Part L - Conservation of fuel and power
  • Part M - Access to and use of buildings,
  • Part N - Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning
  • Part P - Electrical safety.

SAP ratings are the technical calculation that is required in order to produce a Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA) and an On Construction Energy Performance Certificate (OCEPC), both of which are reports that abstract information from the supporting SAP calculation.

SAP calculations are simply a home energy rating that seeks to calculate a score between 1 to 100+ for the annual energy cost due to:

  • the built structure of the home
  • its heating and hot water system
  • internal lighting
  • any renewable technologies used in the home.

The higher the number the lower the fuel running costs, with 100 representing zero energy cost. Dwellings with a rating in excess of 100 are net exporters of energy.

In the event that Building Control at your Local Authority request a SAP calculation Drawing and Planning can compile a detailed SAP calculation showing the contrast in energy costs from the existing building to the proposed plans.

Fee: £770.00 + VAT

Building regulations exemptions include:

  • The extension of a building by the addition at ground level of a conservatory, porch, covered yard or covered way or a carport open on at least two sides
  • Where the floor area does not exceed 30m², provided that in the case of a conservatory or porch which is wholly or partly glazed, the glazing satisfies the requirement of Building Regulation Part N Safety Glazing. An exempt conservatory must be separated from the remainder of the house by a wall, door or window.
  • A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m², which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building at no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage or which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

These planning exemptions cover:

  • Detached garages having less than 30 square metres in floor area and constructed of non-combustible materials.
  • Detached summer house having less than 30 square metres in floor area and containing no sleeping accommodation and constructed of non-combustible materials.
  • Timber sheds are also exempt providing they are less than 30 square metres in floor area and positioned a minimum of one metre from the boundary of its curtilage.
  • Vehicle crossovers are controlled by the individual council.
  • Hoarding, scaffold and skip licenses
  • Erection of boundary fence and boundary walls; but these may be controlled by Planning legislation.
  • Damage to adjoining private property is a civil matter and is not controlled by Building Regulations. If the Party Wall Act applied to the works being undertaken, then action may be taken by the owner of the property.
  • New driveway or patio area, these are not controlled by Building Regulations.
  • If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and you may have other duties as well.

Drawing and Planning are here to make the process of applying for building regulations simple. We will fill out the forms and consult on your behalf with your local Council’s Building Regulations Inspector. This usually entails interim on-site meetings and regular drawing demonstrations.

Even if you have not used our services for your planning application or design drawings we will be please to offer you our Building Regulations service.


Building regulations are defined as a set standard for all designs and construction that is done on buildings. Building regulations help to ensure that the infrastructures that are built comply with safety standards and do not harm the health of people that reside around the area where the buildings have been erected or modified.

Asking the question what are building regulations is something that all people who wish to alter the appearance of their homes need to ask themselves. Without these set standards there would be tons of people throughout the UK building infrastructures that are not sound and could adversely affect the health of people around where the building is made.

What building works should comply to building regulations is yet another powerful question to ask before construction on a building can be performed. Buildings that must comply with regulations are building extensions or building erections, installations of extensions, a project that is going to alter the state of the building, either on a temporary or permanent basis.

Even though there are some minor changes that you can make to your residence, where you do not need to comply with certain building regulations, most infrastructures and modifications to infrastructures will need to comply with the regulatory party.